Remembrance Sunday – 14th November 2021
Each year this commemoration seems to get more distant and yet it is always in our hearts.
This year we are, again, placing two wreaths – one on the Utkinton War Memorial and the other inside the Village Hall. The event at the War memorial is an open one and we would welcome any resident or visitor to the Parish to gather at the junction of Quarry Bank and John Street for 10:50. We are hopeful that Harrison Hughes will Lay the wreath and that Parish Councillors will read the dedications. It is probable that our friendly troop of horses will join us again.
The short video below is our heartfelt message to those who fell and their families.
It is worth reading this article about the history of the Utkinton War Memorial, published in the ‘Tarporley Parish News’ in October 1918 and which mentions that the Memorial was dedicated slightly more than two months before the formal ending on Armistice Day on 11th November 1918.
Taken from Tarporley Parish News (October 1918)
The Utkinton War Memorial
On Sunday September 1st, at 4 p.m., the Rector dedicated the Memorial to the men from Utkinton who have fallen in this great war. The Memorial is a very beautiful one, consisting of two large foundation steps, or bases of Eddisbury Stone, laid in large joints; on these rests a very large block of sandstone into which is let the great Cross of Teak-wood, 10 ½ ft high, bearing the Figure of our Lord and Saviour carved from Teak-wood – a very beautiful appealing figure. On the front of the block is carved:
“Greater love hath no man than this.”
“They gave their hearts to their Homes;
They gave their lives to their Country;
They gave their Souls to God.”
Then follow the names.
On the S face of the stone is carved; “This memorial is raised to the memory of the brave men from Utkinton, who fell in the Great War, 1914.”
The Shrine stands on a site given by Capt. Arden, a little back from the road leading from Tarporley to Willington and facing Quarry Bank. It is the gift of Mrs Prestwich of Tirley Garth, who has done so much for the Utkinton Sailors and Soldiers and their friends since the war broke out.
The afternoon was wet and stormy. Perhaps this added to the solemnity of the Service. The Sacred Figure stood out strikingly against the great black storm-clouds. There was a gathering of people – the relations and friends of the men who had fallen, six soldiers on leave and many others.. “Lead kindly Light” was sung. The Rector prayed for the men who are fighting for us, and for those who had fallen and for those who have lived. Then, having dedicated the Memorial to the Glory of God, in the name of God the Son, and in Memory of the Fallen, he spoke St Paul’s words: “That ye may be able to comprehend with all Saints what is the breadth and length and depth and height, and to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge.” Then followed the Blessing, and a very beautiful Service was over.
The Crucifix will be surrounded on three sides by an evergreen hedge, and a flower border open to the front, ever standing as the token of love which will dare and do; love which cannot rest; love which will sacrifice self; love which will suffer and die for what it loves.